A Very Successful Bio-Info Day
Calcul Québec's Bio-Info Day took place on January 31st and was a great success. Researchers from across Quebec as well as Calcul Québec personnel from all sites gathered in Montreal for a fruitful day of sharing and discussions.
" This day was a great opportunity to promote exchanges between the members of the Calcul Québec genomics community. Better communication between community members will probably help everyone better understand the needs and constraints involved, allowing us to work together more effectively. " commented Suzanne Talon, Calcul Québec coordinator, who organized the event.
Due to a planned electricity maintenance at the Université de Sherbrooke, the Mammouth clusters will be offline for the following period :
- Compute nodes and Interactive nodes: From Friday August 22th at 4PM to Monday August 25th at 5PM.
- ALL running and waiting jobs will be DELETED on August 22th at 4PM.
At this time we will take the opportunity to do software updates and a hardware maintenance of the Lustre storage systems. The compute nodes will not be available during this period, but the interactive nodes may available earlier. Please consult the message appearing at login for the latest information.
Once again, Calcul Québec contributes to a student researcher's success. Vincent Marceau, doctoral candidate in physics at Université Laval's Centre for optics, photonics and lasers was named FRQ-NT's Star student-researcher for August 2014.
Mr Marceau received this honor for the article titled Femtosecond 240-keV Electron Pulses from Direct Laser Acceleration in a Low-Density Gas, published in the prestigious peer reviewed journal Physical Review Letters. The simulations that lead to the publication of this article were done using our compute server Colosse.
As was recently reported by Université de Montréal (UofM) on it's web site, Dr Luis Barreiro from the department of pediatrics at UofM's Faculty of Medicine has been selected by the scientific journal Cell as one of the « 40 under 40 » — one of forty promising biology researchers under forty who were featured in the journal's 40th anniversary edition.
Dr Barreiro and his team use Calcul Québec's resources and services to study the genes that influence the variability of the immune response to infection in a healthy population. A better understanding of the genetic basis of an individual's susceptibility to infection could, in the long term, allow for more effective strategies in the prevention of infectious diseases.
The Chief Technology Officer of this recently incorporated organization will have accountability for planning, coordinating, and leading the purchase and deployment of advanced computing resources across Canada based on the needs of the research community and will ensure that all researchers in Canada can access the appropriate advanced computing facilities managed by CC. The Chief Technology Officer will develop and promote the services and capabilities of the organization and its advanced computing resources nationally and internationally.
3. Calcul Québec Additional Rules
1) Calcul Québec infrastructure is intended primarily for non-contractual academic research. A user who wishes to use this infrastructure for other purposes must include in their project usage fees according to the current pricing schema. The user must also inform Calcul Québec of such usage.
3) If a sponsored user cannot be reached by e-mail within a reasonable period of time, their data may be transferred to the sponsor upon the sponsor's written request.
5) In the absence of a particular agreement to this effect, Calcul Québec assumes no responsibility for the security of sensitive or personal data belonging to users. Users who work with this kind of data must take their own measures (for example, by encrypting the data) to protect such data.
Our complete rules and policies are available here. Please take note that users will be deemed to have accepted these conditions if their account is still active as of July 31st 2014. You can refuse these conditions by deactivating your account here. If you need further information about our rules and policies, write to us!