McGill University is seeking a Project Manager, Advanced Research Computing (ARC) to support the expansion of the McGill High Performance Computing Centre, a platform that is part of the national ARC infrastructure network. Reporting to the Director, Information Technology Development and Operations (designated Chief Information Officer (CIO) of Calcul Quebec), the incumbent will oversee all aspects of the ARC development project – from planning to execution and closure. The incumbent will work within the Calcul Québec organization and join a vibrant team of HPC systems administrators and analysts across several Quebec institutions. It is an opportunity to be working on a large-scale leading-edge technology project and with a team that has installed and operated supercomputers in the Top 500 for more than 20 years.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the ARC development project;
- Provides regular status reports to the Director, IT Development and Operations and escalates issues as required.
- Provides advice and support to staff members in other sections at McGill, i.e. Office of the Vice-Principal, Research and Innovating, Procurement, Scientific Director, and the Project Leads at the other host institutions across Canada;
- Follows appropriate project management methodology to gather and define project requirements; develop project charters, project plans, budgets and schedules; identify staffing requirements; form project teams; and communicate within the organization;
- Liaises with various project teams to ensure the effective planning, procurement, and implementation of the new systems at each institution;
- Stewards the management of project scope, schedule, and budget, across the project lifecycle. Selects and follows project management methods, procedures, and quality objectives, and tracks metrics for assessing progress;
- Assist in development of procurement documentation such as systems descriptions and technical details in the Call for Tender, etc.;
- Manages and oversees cross-functional project teams and manages inter-project dependencies and communications. Balances workload between project teams and provides technical and analytical guidance and work direction to project teams by: scheduling; assigning work; reviewing of project efforts; and removing roadblocks inhibiting project success;
- Assesses variances from the project plans, budgets, and schedules; develops, implements, and documents changes as necessary to ensure that the project remains within specified scope and is within time, cost, and quality objectives; and keeps management aware of the situation;
- Oversees third party vendor management across a set of related projects within the new ARC systems procurement project.
The deadline to apply for this position is November 28, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
Read the full job description on McGill University’s Career website.